UKS2 - Mr Jennings
Welcome to Year 5!
Mid-Autumn Festival Day
"Hello, Welcome to Year 5".
Welcome to Class 5,
Firstly, a huge welcome back to school! For some of you, it is your first time stepping back into school since March, and whilst it may not seem like school as we knew it before, we have lots of exciting things to get stuck into this term.
This half term, we are starting a brand new topic all about space and linked cross-curricularly to Science - STARGAZERS!
This term, we will be reading information texts to find out about the Solar System and the Sun, using mnemonics to help us remember fascinating facts. We will discover unique traits of all planets and create our own planets to place into our Solar System.
We’ll learn about Galileo, the ‘father’ of modern astronomy and his famous astronomical discoveries. Taking on the roles of the planets, we’ll use movement to demonstrate the motions of the planets and moons through active learning. We’ll investigate lunar myths such as Chang'e and write astronaut poetry. Then we’ll design a space shuttle or satellite (choosing materials for durability) and we’ll program and encode toys to explore a lunar landscape. At the end of the project, we’ll look at alien-themed comics, invent our own aliens and consider the big question: why is there life on Earth?
- Every week there will be an e-newsletter to parents/guardians via email, which will let you know what we have been up to that week. It will also detail any homework to complete. This will be emailed out on a Thursday and can also be found on the class page of the website.
- For this half term, PE will be on a Thursday. Children will need to arrive at school in their kit and bring trainers and an additional jacket (if required).
- Pencil cases are to remain in school.
- A clean, fresh water bottle is to be brought into school every day and kept on the table if there is space, or on the floor next to their place.
- Please name all clothing and equipment.
If you have any queries, please feel free to use email@example.com to contact me directly, as we are unable to book face-to-face appointments at this time. I check this mailbox as often as possible, therefore I will hopefully be able to answer any questions as soon as possible. If your query is urgent and requires an immediate response, please contact the school office as the first point of contact on 01949 20226.