I would like to start by saying a very warm welcome to all of the children and their parents! This year is already looking to be a very exciting (and busy) one. throughout year, we will be: making a difference in the world, becoming masters of our learning, digging deeper into the mysteries of the world around us and discovering more about ourselves and those around us! It is an exciting time and it is our aim to ensure that the children will be working hard and challenging themselves to become excellent, enthusiastic and independent learners. It is crammed with opportunities for the children to create and explore!
- Every week we will send out a class newsletter which will let you know what we have been up to that week. It will also detail any homework which we would like the children to complete. This will be emailed out to parents on a Friday.
- Reading will take place every day ensuring that each child’s reading is heard at least once a week. Please be understanding that we cannot change books daily as this will interrupt our very busy learning timetable. Phonics and spelling take place every day ensuring reading, writing and spelling skills are being taught, practised and applied.
- Spelling and phonics will be taught in small groups daily by Miss Fisher, Mrs Gilbey and Miss Carberry. From this, spellings will be sent home for children to practice and tested regularly in school.
- This year Maths is taught within year groups. Both teachers will rotate groupings throughout the year.
How you can help:
- Correct school PE kits will be needed every day. Kits should be appropriate for the season i.e. both outdoor and indoor kits are needed for the winter months. PE will take place on Tuesdays and Fridays. Water bottles to be brought into school on PE days.
- Children receive weekly homework which is collected on a Friday where appropriate. This will be reading, spellings and either number facts or topic homework.
- Read with your child every day, and ask them questions about the text. Please record in their diaries the pages they have read and initial this to enable good communication between home and school. This recording is seen as evidence that they have read every day and is treated as homework.
Finally, I look forward to an amazing and creative year; as a school appreciate the commitment and dedication from home and look forward to the pupils growing in confidence, independence and maturity throughout the year. If you have any queries, please feel free to pop in and ask. I am available to see parents or guardians after school. This can be by appointment if you would like to discuss your child in detail or just pop in if it is a general query.