Welcome to Year 3
This year, Year 3 will be taught by Mrs Cains on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and Mrs Lewis on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. We realise that this has already been a very different year and we plan to create a safe and secure environment but with clear and fair boundaries. Below is a brief outline of the curriculum coverage and key information that might be useful to you all.
- Place Value
- Reasoning & Problem Solving (throughout all of the above).
- Story writing
- Non chronological reports
- Newspaper reports
- Plays and Dialogue
- SPaG; these will be weekly sessions but also incorporated into English sessions when appropriate.
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPaG):
- prefixes and suffixes
- place the possessive apostrophe accurately
- use the first 2 or 3 letters of a word to check its spelling in a dictionary
- extending the range of sentences by using a wider range of conjunctions, including when, if, because, although
- using the present perfect form of verbs in contrast to the past tense
- nouns and pronouns
- using conjunctions, adverbs and prepositions to express time and cause
- using fronted adverbials
- using commas after fronted adverbials
- indicating possession by using the possessive apostrophe with singular and plural nouns
- using and punctuating direct speech
Topic – In year 3 and 4, this year the foundation subjects (History, Geography, Science, Art, D&T) will all be based around a half termly topic they are as follows (order may be subject to change):
- Autumn Term: Rocks, Relics and Rumbles & Traders and Raiders
- Spring Term: Predator & ‘Scrumdiddly-umptious!’
- Summer Term: Tribal Tales & Mighty Metals
- Creation & Fall
- Each week, please check the class page on our school website where we will keep you informed on any key information from the week or for future reference. It will also detail any homework which we would like the children to complete.
- In LKS2 children are expected to reading, practise common exception words for spellings and timetables throughout the week at home.
- PE will be on Wednesdays and Fridays, please arrive into school in PE kits.
- Reading: Reciprocal Reading will take place every day with a group of children ensuring every child is heard reading once a week. Please ensure you read with your child every day at home.
If you have any queries, please feel free to email us on: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware we will only be able to reply in non teaching time, thank you.
We wish you all a happy and healthy academic year,
Mrs Cains & Mrs Lewis.