We would like to start by saying a very warm welcome to all of the children and their parents! Working alongside us this year will be Miss Carberry and Mrs Atkinson. Mrs Morrell is finally undertaking her teacher training and will be in working in KS1 every morning. Although things might be a bit different, this year is already looking to be a very exciting (and busy) one.
English and Maths
This half term we will be teaching English and Maths in year groups. Maths in year one will be taught by Miss Fisher and Mrs Gilbey will be teaching year two. We will all be enjoying the same topic of Paws, Claws and Whiskers with story book “Where the Wild Things Are” by Maurice Sendak. Year one English will be taught by Mrs Gilbey and Miss Fisher will teach year two.
Reading, Spelling and Phonics
- Reading will take place every day in school ensuring that each child is heard at least twice a week. This will be in a group guided session. We are trialling new books that link to the phonic sounds that we are teaching daily. The reading session will be follow the phonic lesson to embed the children’s new sound knowledge.
- Handwriting and spelling will take place every day ensuring these skills are being taught, practised and applied.
- Phonics will be taught in small groups daily by Miss Fisher, Mrs Gilbey, Mrs Morrell and Miss Carberry.
- Year two children will be completing a phonic assessment in November (this should have taken place in June). More details to follow. The year one children will complete this in June 2021.
- The organisation of reading books and diaries will have to be different in the current climate and will be evaluated regularly. Please be understanding that we will not be able to change books daily. Reading books will be sent home once a week and will be placed in a quarantine box once returned.
- Every week we will send out a class newsletter which will let you know what we have been up to that week. It will also detail any homework which we would like the children to complete. This will be emailed out to parents on a Friday and can also be found on the class page of the website.
- For this half term, PE days will be Tuesday and Friday. Children will need to arrive at school in their kit. Tuesday: indoor kit- trainers, white t-shirt and shorts. Friday: outdoor kit- trainers, white t-shirt and long bottoms.
- Please send your child with a pencil case containing colouring pencils and some felt tips if desired. This is to remain in school. Children do not need a rubber.
- A clean, fresh water bottle to be brought into school every day and kept on the floor under their table.
- Please name all clothing and equipment.
We hope you find the above information helpful. If you have any queries, please feel free to use firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the school office if it is an urgent matter.